How Two Churches Became One
More Effective in Ministry
In the Spring of 2011, Shepherd of the Hills UMC adopted a Covenant for Cooperative Ministry with Santa Margarita UMC, outlining the relationship between SMUMC and Shepherd of the Hills during the 2011-2012 fiscal year. During this time, the two churches remained separate entities, but began the process of sharing some ministry, staff and structures. The Covenant spelled out the business plan of how the two churches would begin working together rather than in isolation.
On July 1st, 2012 the two churches merged and celebrated with an Inaugural Worship Celebration at Rancho Santa Margarita's Central Park. The new merged church is called Shepherd of the Hills UMC, this multi-site community of faith retains its status as a California corporation. Budgets and staffing are unified and more streamlining will occur between both campuses. Financial liabilities, including loans, will be unified, as will Conference apportionments.
Our leaders of both sites continue to develop systems of financial health and viability. It is the expectation that the giving and financial generation of each campus will be more than enough to maintain the cost of operating at two locations.
By taking these steps, our two churches have become more effective in ministry together than apart. That is what it is all about - being effective in reaching our community with the gospel of Jesus Christ. Let us all continue in prayer toward that end. The merger of Shepherd of the Hills UMC and Santa Margarita UMC was accomplished as planned on July 1, 2012, and the new church celebrated with an Inaugural Worship Celebration at Rancho Santa Margarita's Central Park.
For more information about Shepherd of the Hills - Mission Viejo campus, please visit this website.
- Worship 9:30 AM: Relaxed Traditional – Traditional and new hymns with our Chancel Choir.
- Worship 11 AM: Contemporary / Modern Worship – Band, Candles, Families.
- Sunday school for children at each hour. Loving nursery care, too.
- Address: We are located at 30605 Avenida de Las Flores, Rancho Santa Margarita.
This Week at RSM Campus
On Sunday we continue our series on "Making All Things New." Last week we talked about the "What" of the Gospel - the very nature of the Gospel and how God wants to transform the world through it. This week we are going to talk about the "Who" of the Gospel. We are continuing to move through Colossians and as it progresses Paul begins to pray for the people of Colasse and does so because he knows that they will need great trust and knowledge of Who the gospel is about, and Who will cause life transformation. So this week we will gather together to talk about Who Jesus is when it comes to transformation newness. What we discover is that Jesus makes things new everyday if we simply allow those tiny transformations to lead to big ones..... See you Sunday as we talk about the image of the invisible!
Church Wide News & Events
Pastor Craig’s Final Sunday at Shepherd of the Hills: Pastor Craig will celebrate his final Sunday at Shepherd of the Hills on June 16th. There will be one worship service at each campus that morning. • Rancho Santa Margarita Campus – 9:00 a.m. Worship, Pastor Craig Preaching • Mission Viejo Campus – 10:30 a.m. Worship, Pastor Craig Preaching Following worship at the Mission Viejo Campus, there will be a celebration luncheon of Mexican street tacos! After lunch, a gathering will be held in the sanctuary at Mission Viejo.
- Pastoral News: The Rev. Karl Stuckenberg to Be Appointed as the New Lead Pastor at Shepherd of the Hills...
- 'Celebrate Recovery': Launched April 10th at 6:30 pm at the MV Campus (part of "Connect"). The weekly gathering will serve as a support group for dealing with hurts, habits and hang-ups, providing a place to share, fellowship, and embark on a path to healing.
- 'Connect' Gatherings: Wednesdays from 6:30 pm - 7:45 pm, Mission Viejo Campus
- Event Highlights: See what events are going on at both campuses here...
- Shepherd of the Hills Happenings: Read our monthly newsletter here...
- Campus Scenes: View a short video of scenes and activities from our campus.
- View Current Sermons: If you missed or want to re-experience a recent sermon, we have audio and video for you.
- Newsletters: An archive of recent newsletters. See what’s been going on.
- Sermon Series: Read about what’s upcoming and what’s past.